The Ozark National Forest covers more than one million acres, mostly in northwest Arkansas. The southernmost portion runs along the Arkansas River Valley south to the Ouachita Mountains. The northern boundary extends beyond Lone Rock to Matney Mountain in Stone County. On the west the forest patchwork touches Oklahoma. The Ozark National Forest was established on March 6, 1908 by Presidential proclamation. Diverse flora in the region include more than 500 species of trees and woody plants. Hardwoods occupy 65 percent of the forests; the oak-hickory types dominate.
The St. Francis National Forest takes its name from the St. Francis River, one of the rivers forming the forest's eastern boundary. The discoverer of the river is unknown, as is the origin of the name St. Francis. Most of the forest is situated in the hilly Crowley's Ridge section, but some is in the low and flat lands along the rivers. The forest, established November 8, 1960, covers 20,946 acres in Lee and Phillips counties of Arkansas.