On April 26, 1905, Theodore Roosevelt designated the 1,243,042 acres between the interior Coastal Range on the west and the Cascade Range on the east in the central part of Northern California as the Trinity Forest Reserve, headquartered in Weaverville. Several months later, the large inland Shasta Forest Reserve (1,523,770 acres) was created, on October 3, 1905, headquartered in Mt. Shasta City. The Shasta National Forest and the Trinity National Forest were administratively combined in 1954. The new entity was officially renamed the Shasta–Trinity National Forest, headquartered in Redding.
Leave a Reply